Corfu's Wildlife and animals (At least all I saw)

 Corfu's Wildlife and animals

 
The Pontikonisi and the Holy Monastery Of Panagia Vlacherna

As many of you who are in my Viber Group Know, Yesterday I have been on an all-day trip to Corfu with school. In this trip I took various photos and saw many different things which I am going to list bellow (all about nature of course!)

1. "Kanoni" and the Monastery surrunded by water

The first place we were taken at that had something to do with nature was Kanoni and the Monastery of Panagia Vlacherna. The area was really beautiful, except one big issue : There is an airport literally in the middle of the lagoon in which all of this is located. That kind of ruined the aura, but anyways, the waters there were crystal clear and we immidietaly started spotting fish.

When we got to the Monastery area we were greeted by some weird looking anatids. At first by eye I could only tell they were anatids (because of their beaks) and that there was 1 male and 2 females (got that because of the male's display) and nothing else. I immidietaly pulled out my identification guide, but after searching for all the anatids in the book, I saw nothing like them. So I did the UNTHINKABLE. I used an APP TO IDENTIFY them. I mean I kind of get the free pass here since they are not European and the guide I have is only for European Birds but anyways, they are Muscovy ducks. 





The trip then continued when we got in a café where we had a view of the airport which was in the middle of the lagoon. I was looking in with my binoculars when I saw something shocking: a literal grey heron, which I identified to be a sub adult (because its nuptial plumage hadn't grown already even though it had many adult characteristics) sitting literally 10 or 20 meters from the landing area being undisturbed by the literal planes landing next to it. Wow! 


The city

In the city we saw a bunch of pidgeons, some Apodids and a white wagtail. I even decided to hunt down the pidgeons by standing and walking above ones that are alone and then locking their wings with my hands. Unfortunately, I did not catch any pidgeon in a good enough angle. I caught one. I also saw a white wagtail. 









Comments

Popular Posts